1. Forwarders are focussed on service delivery. Carriers can often be focussed on filling their trailers.
2. Forwarders can use many different carriers and use spot rates in the market to get the best rate for their customers
3. Forwarders have the advantage of buying in volume and related volume discounts. They can often source rate lower than if the customer went straight to a carrier.
4. If you export freight to many different countries you may require a different carrier for each one. A forwarder could be you one point of contact for all freight deliveries be they UK, European or Worldwide.
5. Forwarders are professionals who have established solid partnerships with other specialist logistics companies and they can find the best logistical solutions for their customers which the customers would struggle to put in place themselves.
6. Forwarders will in general offer better credit terms compared to carriers direct, especially sea-freight carriers.